Are you flossing the right way? Check out our tips for flawless flossing! Not only is it important to brush your teeth daily, it’s also crucial to floss daily because plaque build-up can lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
Flossing is a crucial defence against the build-up of plaque and food particles in areas that cannot easily be reached with a toothbrush.
The video below, produced by Colgate, demonstrates the correct flossing technique.
Flossing tips and technique:
- Obtain 18 inches of dental floss (this can be purchased from the supermarket or pharmacy)
- Wrap it around your index fingers leaving two to four inches between your hands
- Hold the floss tautly between your thumbs and index fingers
- Gently slide the floss between your teeth (never force the floss or move it roughly)
- Slowly move the floss up and down – gliding along the side of each tooth
- Curve the floss around the base of each tooth – making sure you dip beneath the gum line
- As you move from tooth to tooth use clean sections of floss
- Continue flossing until you have cleaned between all of your teeth
- Rinse your mouth with mouth wash or a glass of water
- Smile at yourself in the mirror 🙂 Well done!
For more information on how to keep your teeth healthy, contact your local dentist. If you’re looking for a dentist in Melbourne CBD, call Melbourne Central Dental on (03) 8608 8968.
The information contained on this website and websites linked to this website (Information) does not constitute or comprise comprehensive medical or dental advice. You should seek dental advice directly from your dentist before acting or relying on the Information.
First published: 06 November 2014